Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Clif: Blocks and Bars

Awesome package from Clif and Luna

As a BibravePro a few weeks ago I received a lovely package in the mail filled with Luna Protein Bars, Clif mini bars and Clif Shot Bloks. I've had Clif bars so I knew I would love those however I have not tried the Luna bars or shot Bloks.

Clif Mini Bars

I have had many a regular size Clif Bar in many different flavors and I've enjoyed them all. When I received the box of Clif minis I assumed I would love them as well and I was not disappointed. The minis are exactly the same as the regular, just smaller size.



size comparison

The regular size I usually enjoy as a snack in the afternoon, after a long run or when we are on the go like on vacation for example. Emir and I took a ton of Clif bars on our recent camping trip to California and Arizona. The minis obviously are not as filling however they are perfect when you want just a little something. I found them perfect for after work before a run. They were just enough but not too much. The regular size can be a bit too heavy to eat right before a run, at least for me. While I wouldn't eat these say during a half marathon or marathon that I was racing, the minis are perfect for a super long weekend run or an ultra. They easily fit in a pocket, hydration pack or flipbelt. During very long runs especially ultras, I'll eat all kinds of things. A Clif mini offers more nutrition that is meant for endurance activities as it contains organic, wholesome ingredients and they taste great.  I enjoyed both flavors I received: Chocolate Chip and White Chocolate Macadamian nut.




Luna Protein Bars

Along with the mini bars, I received a box of the Luna Lemon Vanilla protein bars.  Luna describes these bars as being a high protein bar just for women.  I'm not really sure why they say that, maybe because they are high in Calcium and Folic Acid?  In any case, these bars have 12g of protein and 3g of fiber which definitely will keep you feeling full for longer.  I'm a huge fan of bars like this that taste good but have a lot of nutritional value.  These are a great after run snack or really anytime snack.  I am not a fan of anything lemon flavored but I gave it my best shot.  I can't lie, I really didn't like this flavor very much.  In order to see if it was just me and my taste or it's not a good tasting bar in general, I had a few other tasters.  My husband and 2 year old daughter were big fans of the lemon vanilla so it is a good tasting bar unless you don't like lemon.  Lucky for me Luna protein bars come in other flavors such as chocolate peanut butter, mint chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough which I KNOW I would like.   I'm sure we will definitely purchase these in the future to have around as snacks for the whole family just in a flavor that I like too ;-)



Clif Shot Bloks


Finally the Bloks!  Now this was the product I was most surprised by.  I have seen people raving about them on the various social media but I myself could never get myself to give them a shot.  I've received a few free samples here and there at races but I never tried them.   Honestly, I'm really not sure why I was kind of grossed out by them since it's not like gels aren't gross and I eat them all the time.  Anyway Clif sent me a whole box of tropical punch so there's no way I wasn't going to try them.  My next long run after receiving the bloks, I took a pack with me.  I ate them mid run and was very pleasantly surprised.  They tasted REALLY GOOD!  They were easy to chew and go down really smooth.  They didn't get stuck on my teeth or leave any weird after taste.  And the packaging is easy to open so not a problem while running.  I actually wished I had more with me that day!  After that I really was hooked, I'm not even exaggerating.  I actually would sit around eating them as snacks all day long like fruit snacks since they taste so good (I won't but I could!).  I can't wait to try some other flavors.   I ate them at the Runner's World Festival between the 5K & 10K and before the half marathon.  I've also been eating them during all my long runs.  I can really feel the boost they give me.  I love that they have caffeine.  They are also nicer than gels in that I can eat as many or as little in the pack as I want.  I can spread them out over the course of a run if I don't feel I need them all at once.


ate bloks before and during this tough 22 mile Philly Marathon training run

used bloks a couple miles before my 5 miles at MP on this past weekend's Philly Marathon training run

 The only downside is the fact that it does take longer to ingest the bloks versus say gels or smaller gummy energy things.  I have my tried and true methods for fueling when I'm racing any distance up to the marathon that I feel don't hinder my performance so I would likely not use the bloks during those races.  I just feel like even though they aren't difficult to chew, there are a bunch of them and I feel like it does take some time to eat them and I get a little out of breath while chewing them.  I just think it would hinder my flow when I'm trying to run fast.



That said, I will eat a pack before a race instead of the gel I would normally eat and I will definitely have these on hand during long training runs and my ultra races where I'm eating all day long while I'm running anyway.

Disclaimer: This product has been provided to me free of charge as a Bibrave Pro with no obligation of positive review. All opinions and comments are my own. 


Check out my fellow BibRave Pro's Reviews!

Jane - http://www.runthejungle.com/2014/10/clif-bar-shot-bloks-review.html
Jeremy- http://confessionsofanamateurathlete.blogspot.com/2014/11/before-during-and-after-with-clif-bar.html
Angie - http://wp.me/p3CgRX-Mn
Jenn - http://www.thecupcakerunner.com/training/the-great-big-food-review



No comments:

Post a Comment