Friday, June 13, 2014

BioSkin Calf Sleeves


A few weeks ago I was asked if I would like to become a Bio Skin Braces And Supports ambassador. At the time I was unfamiliar with the Bio Skin company however after browsing their website and reading reviews, it sounded like a great company with great products that I definitely wanted to be a part of.

Since becoming an ambassador, I've been testing the Bio Skin Calf Sleeves.  A few years ago, I had really bad shin splints, probably even a stress fracture. I ended up using a brace that just wrapped around part of my calf. While it helped, I did have problems with it. I actually haven't even used it at all for the past 8 months. My original had worn out so Emir kindly bought me another as a gift however the company had changed the material. When the brace was on my bare skin, I could not get it to stay up. It was constantly sliding down. While I haven't been having the severe shin splint problems that I used to have, I still will experience soreness in my shins from time to time which is why I was more than happy to receive the Calf Skin Sleeves to test out.
first run in the sleeves was a 10K race
I've only had the sleeves a little over a week however so far, I really like them. It's been super humid here the last week so I was hesitant to wear one more thing however I was pleasantly surprised by the breathability of the sleeves. Another concern I had with the humidity was the sleeves slipping due to the immense amount of sweat during my runs. The sleeves fit very snugly and actually can be a bit of a challenge to get on at first. There was no movement whatsoever during any of my sweatfests.

As a physical therapist, I know a thing or two about compression and how it can help injuries, injury recovery and just overall recovery from races or long training runs. While the Calf Skins might be a bit intense as far as snug fit at first, I definitely can feel that my calves are already adapting. I know that it is important for the level of compression to be high enough to actually be effective. Despite my short time so far with the calf skins, I would definitely recommend them for runners with shin splint issues. I also recommend them for runners who don't have shin splints but as a recovery tool after intense or long runs.
 

enjoyed wearing the calf skins even on a super humid day!

No comments:

Post a Comment