Monday, December 17, 2012

50K Training starts....NOW!!!

So I've decided I will write bits and pieces of my running history each time I write a new post until I reach present time. 

In September of 2010, my son had just turn 1 at the end of August and I had finally weaned him from breastfeeding.  I was looking at some pics from his first bday party and was disgusted.  I looked huge!  I also had noticed the scale had been indicating the same thing lately.  I had been walking a few days a week on the trail near my house with my son in the stroller but that's about it.  My husband off and on pretty much since I had my son was bugging me to try running a bit.  During my pregnancy he had started running a bit and did a couple 5K races.  I had always been a swimmer through my whole life.  The only time I would run was during the softball season and I had a hell of a time just making the 60 feet from base to base.  I absolutely hated running with a passion.  I just felt like I couldn't do it.  I also do have asthma and when I was younger it was much worse than now which probably contributed to these feelings.  Seeing how I looked and felt I finally gave in and said "Fine, I'll try but you'll see I can't!"  That week I probably ran a total of 10 minutes over 3 or 4 days but I did run.  It was hard and I didn't really like it.  Somehow my husband convinced me to keep trying so I did.

Today Emir and I are starting our 50K training program.  We are attempting to run our first 50K in May at the North Face endurance Challenge in Bear Mountain, NY.  I'm pretty excited about it.  I feel like more and more people are running marathons but far less take that plunge into the ultramarathoning world.  I'm excited to be among those few that do this distance.  So anyway I started things off with a 7 miler today.  I had off from work today so the kids were home with me.  Weather was too crappy to take the kids outside (not to mention I still haven't bought the double running stroller yet).  So treadmill it was!!  Niko who is now 3 has gotten used to mommy and daddy going for runs.  He gets excited for us to go running and will cheer us on, it's really cute.  He's really good while we are running and will watch his tv shows, play with his toys, do whatever.  It's really nice.  And Una who is 7 months old can't get into anything yet.  It's easy to bring her down the basement and plop her in her swing, bouncy seat whatever and she's happy as a clam.  She really is a great baby!  I've gotten really good at Niko handing me things to open/close or toys to fix while running and handing them back to him without dropping anything.  Nothing too eventful on today's run.  Felt pretty good.  I did my final shoe testing run in the Saucony Viratta's (I'm shoe testing for Fitness magazine).  They are there new zero drop shoe.  I actually like them alot.  So far all my runs in them have been really fast.  The shoes themselves are super light.  I also have a pair of Saucony's Kinvara 3 and I think the Virattas are definitely a better shoe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment