Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Rudy Project Fotonyk Sunglasses

Disclaimer: I received Rudy Project NA Fotonyk sunglasses as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
The Rudy Project's latest performance sunglasses are called the Fotonyk.  The main new feature being a 'Lens Bumper' system, which provides protection to the face during falls or impacts, as well as a customizable look. The bumpers are available in multiple different colors.  They can also be removed to create a half-rim lens. In addition to this new technology, air channels are at the top of the lens so users can easily manage internal airflow and mitigate fog. The fully adjustable ErgonoseX nose piece and variety of interchangeable lenses, including the unbreakable and photochromic ImpactX lens, make the Fotonyk a very individualized pair of glasses specific to each person and their own face shape. The Fotonyk is also available with high-tech prescriptions.
So now that was the technical terms and explanations but what does all this mean in real life?  At first glance they are a pretty sharp looking pair of glasses.  I received a pair with clear lenses that transition to sunglasses in the sun.  They have black frames with neon green bumpers.

After putting them on, I decided I wasn't a fan of how the bumpers looked on my face.  It's a toss up between scientist and going out to the shooting range kind of look.  I did notice that they do look good on some people.  I think probably the shape and size of my face have something to do with it.  But this was no problem since the bumpers are removable.  I understand the purpose of the bumpers especially for cyclists as it adds protection to their face if they were to fall or have a crash but luckily for me, I have yet to smash my face running (knock on wood) so I don't feel like taking them off is a problem.  Removing them was not all difficult even though you have to remove the lenses from the frames completely to take the bumpers off.  The lenses are super easy to snap in and out of the frames and once the frames are off the bumpers come right off.   I assembled and disassembled them a bunch of times for testing purposes and it would take less than a minute every time. 

Part of the purpose of the glasses coming apart is to remove the bumpers if you don't wish to wear them but also so that you can switch out for different color bumpers or you can even switch out lenses.  There's a variety of options on the Rudy project website

As far as performance these glasses did awesome for me.  Obviously since it's winter most of my runs were in cold weather which is prime time for foggy glasses.  As mentioned above, the fotonyks have air channels at the top of the lenses, I felt these helped tremendously as I didn't have any problems with the glasses fogging up.  I even wore them once inside on the treadmill to get a feel for how they would do in warmer temps since I didn't think I would have that opportunity outside, as it turns out yesterday was about 65 and I ran 18 miles and no fogging problems inside or outside in the warmer temps.

Which leads me into my favorite feature of these glasses the transitioning lenses.  I never really considered how having lenses that transition from clear to sunglasses would be so beneficial for running but now that I've been using the fotonyks, they really can be.  Countless times I start runs when it's light and finish when it's dark or start when it's dark and finish when it's light especially in winter time.  Usually I wear my sunglasses or have them on my head and usually have to move them from one spot to the other depending on if it's dark or light out. 
 And of course there's always those times when it's not really bright out anymore but the setting or rising sun might be directly in your eyes and you are every two minutes switching the sunglasses back and forth from your eyes to the top of your head because when the sun isn't in your eyes it's too dark with the glasses on your eyes.  I also encounter lots of dark shady areas mixed with open areas of sun.  I'm always no matter what time of year or day, switching my sunglasses from face to head a million times.   It doesn't really bother me to switch my glasses around or have them on my head but using the Fotonyks was pretty nice.  I put them on and actually would just forget they were there.  The lenses are crystal clear when it's not light out so you don't even notice you are looking through a lens.   I wore them several times in the complete dark just for eye protection from the bitter cold wind and other than the fact they blocked anything from hitting my eyes, I didn't even notice them because the lens is so clear.  The transition from clear to sunglasses is really so gradual and in perfect sync with the conditions, you don't even realize it's happening. 
 Yesterday on my long run, it was really overcast and quite dark when I went out but halfway through it cleared up and was bright and sunny.  It was really awesome to have put them on from the start and then not have to do anything when conditions changed so much.  Considering how dark it was out and the forecast was for overcast, I may not even have brought my sunglasses in the past but since I had the fotonyks I figured I would just wear them and I was very happy I did.  I didn't even notice when the glasses transitioned to the darker lenses.  They transition so gradually so there's never a time when they seem too dark for when it's not super light out and they definitely are just as good as any other sunglasses when it's super bright out. 


Lastly, the frames are super light which I love and they seem very durable.  Luckily I haven't had to truly test their strength but they feel sturdy and they are specially made to withstand bike crashes so they should be able to withstand my abuses of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment