Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Orange Mud -- HydraQuiver


Disclaimer: I received Orange Mud HydraQuiver as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!

Being the water hog that I am when out on long runs, I was looking forward to testing the OrangeMud's hydraquiver.  There are a couple different models, I was sent the single barrel for testing.  At first glance, I thought the whole thing was a neat little device.  It has several pockets to stash cell phone, goPro, gels, keys, whatever you need.  The two pockets in the front have a cinch feature so that you can ensure nothing pops out while you are running, the right one even having a key clip. There's also two shoulder pockets on the pack that velcro shut that can hold even a phone.  I liked the feel of the material.  I could tell that it would be nice and breathable and comfortable.   I was curious to see how it would feel to have to pull a water bottle out from behind me while on the run.  I was equally as curious how easy it would be to place it back in the holder while on the run.  I'm not a very coordinated person when it comes to things like this so I was concerned that I would constantly miss the holder and drop the bottle or that it would just be hard to get it lined up properly while I'm moving.


Don't mind the blur, Niko took the pics!
I was afraid this would happen
When the pack first came, I was on my two week running break so I spent a lot of time staring at it.  I put it on a few times even though I wasn't going on a run.  I liked the way it felt in general however I was concerned about the side straps.  I seem to get chafed under my arms by almost everything, arm sleeves, certain sports bras and sometimes even my running shirt.  I just could tell that where the strap sat was going to be a problem.  Unfortunately once I was able to start testing, my theory was proved right.  I ran in both a singlet and a short sleeve shirt and both times I got pretty significant chafage in that area.  I also ran with the hydraquiver multiple times in long sleeves and this was not an issue.
The positives of the pack are that it was not difficult at all to take the bottle in and out.  I didn't miss a single time!  It's nice and light and generally very comfortable if it wasn't for that one strap that causes me problems.  I ran with my phone and goPro in the front pockets without any issues.  The pack is also very easily adjustable at two different spots and can fit a wide range of sizes both men and women.  And a feature that I missed until Josh from OrangeMud so kindly pointed out, you can adjust the height of the water bottle so that it doesn't bump your head while running.  While I wouldn't use this as a replacement to my hydration pack due to the fact that I can't carry the amount of water that I need for a long run especially unsupported training runs, it is an excellent alternative to a handheld bottle or a hydration belt.  Belts are just awful for so many reasons and I will never wear one again.  And we've all experienced the hand cramps, frozen hand or just arm fatigue from the handheld.  It gets annoying.  If I just need to carry a bottle, I would much prefer the hydraquiver plus then I have the built in spots for my phone and anything else I might need for the run.

Check them on on orangemud.com and use code: BIBRAVE for 15% off

1 comment:

  1. Cool pics! Love that you used it on the treadmill too, my water bottle always bounces out when I run on those..

    ReplyDelete